Is Human Waste a Biohazard
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant provides cleanup and recovery services for many biohazard situations. Call us today at 732-202-3001.
The definition of Biohazard waste according to Wikipedia is “Biohazard waste is a biological substance that poses a threat to the health of living organisms, primarily humans. This could include a sample of a microorganism, virus or toxin that can adversely affect human health. A
biohazard could also be a substance harmful to other living beings.” Human feces may
potentially contain a variety of pathogens, including bacteria, viruses, and parasites. Cornell has provided us with a list of these pathogens, but here is just a few of many that human feces can carry:
- E. coli
- Hepatitis A
These diseases are dangerous and sometimes can be life threatening, therefore human feces is
considered a biohazard.
Recently, we received a call from the Sheriff of Brick Township. A landlord had reached out to them originally because their rental unit was left in a disastrous manner and they were seeking help. The tenants had moved out, and the landlord discovered the walls, carpets and most areas of the house covered in human feces. Their contents and garbage was also left behind. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant came in and performed an emergency biohazard cleanup.
When it comes to a situation like this, hiring a professional is your only option. If you’re in need
of cleanup and restoration services, contact our professionals today at 732-202-3001.
What is the Transition from Thunderstorm to Hurricane?
We’re dedicated to responding immediately to storm damage emergencies because A fast response helps lessens the damage and reduces cost.
About 25 to 30 thunderstorms happen per year in New Jersey and in Point Pleasant. There is roughly 11 significant two day storms that happened per year. While hurricanes normally occur once every ten years. Although that is not often, all it takes is a thunderstorm, warm ocean
water and light winds for a hurricane to form. It is important to understand the difference in order
to protect yourself, your family, and prepare properly. SciJinks accurately breaks down the four transition stages from thunderstorm to hurricane below:
- Tropical Disturbance: Once water vapor from the warm ocean condenses to form
clouds, it releases heat into the air. The warm air then rises and is pulled into the column of clouds. A pattern starts to develop with wind circulating around the center and as it encounters more clouds it is called a tropical disturbance.
- Tropical Depression: The air at the top of the cloud column starts cooling and becoming unstable as the thunderstorm grows higher and larger. As the heat energy is released from the cooling water vapor, the air at the top of the clouds become warmer, making air pressure higher causing winds to move outward. The movement and warming causes pressures at the surface to drop. When winds reach between 25 and 38mph the storm is called a tropical depression.
- Tropical Storm: Winds have to reach 39mph for the tropical depression to become a tropical storm. The storm will get a name, winds blow faster and start twisting around the eye.
- Hurricane: Once wind speed reaches 74mph it is considered a hurricane. The storm is at least 50,000 feet high, reaches 125 miles across and the eye is between 5 to 30 miles wide.
- Category 1: Winds 74 to 95 mph (Minimal damage)
- Category 2: Winds 96 to 110 mph (Moderate damage)
- Category 3: Winds 111 to 129 mph (Extensive damage)
- Category 4: Winds 130 to 156 mph (Extreme damage)
- Category 5: Winds 157 mph or higher (Catastrophic damage)
Experiencing a storm can be an unsettling thing, and it is even worse if your home or business
has been affected. If you find yourself in that situation, we are here to help. Call SERVPRO of
Point Pleasant for all your storm damage repair
How Is Commercial Restoration Different than Residential?
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant helps commercial customers with a wide variety of cleaning, reconstruction and restoration projects of all sizes.
Commercial buildings include apartment complexes, industrial spaces, hotels, retail spaces and office spaces. These have rooms designed for a specific function.
Residential is any property that has between one and four residential units. This can include a single-family home, a townhome, a condo, a mobile home, or a multiplex building.
The main difference between the two is the size of the building and how it is being used. Commercial properties are generally larger than residential properties.
Commercial properties usually have more pipes due to the increased number of bathrooms, kitchens etc. While residential homes have standard plumbing. Just like a residential home, a broken pipe can equally destroy a commercial property.
Business Spaces & Appliances
A commercial business might involve networks of computer systems, document storage, complicated desk setups etc. When restoring these rooms this needs to be done with an extreme amount of caution.
The HVAC and sprinkler systems in commercial properties are on a very larger scale and can cause a significant amount of damage. HVAC systems can fail, it is important to get them regularly maintained and checked for old hardware or a leak. By doing so, it will help decrease the chances of issues caused by your HVAC system.
You can count on SERVPRO of Point Pleasant for all your commercial restoration needs to:
- Respond immediately
- Formulate the right solution
- Keep you operational if possible
- Document the process
- Get the work done fast
- Get the work done right
The right equipment and trained professionals are needed to address these specific types of issues. Every day your business is closed or only partially operational, you could be losing money. Whether you are dealing with a water damage, fire damage, storm damage, or you have mold or a biohazard contamination SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is here to help. We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Call us today at 732-202-3001 for all of your restoration needs!
Who Cleans Vandalism from Graffiti in Bricktown?
This door has vandalism from graffiti inside the property before it was removed. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant removed, cleaned & sanitized the property.
Graffiti is never a good look for any business. When you experience graffiti damage it is important to act quickly. The quicker it is removed, the less likely it will leave permanent damage to your property. Every graffiti medium is different so each of those could require a different chemical composition to remove it effectively without damaging the surface. Even with the most common graffiti medium, spray paint, there’s a thousand different chemistries that causes many different interactions.
Will high pressure remove the graffiti?
- High pressure will normally cause more damage than it actually helps and it may actually damage the surface in the process.
At SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, we have been mitigating graffiti damage in Brick for years. We have the advanced training to clean and restore graffiti from many types of surfaces, including:
- Brick, stone, and concrete cleaning
- General cleaning and graffiti removal
- Odor removal and deodorization
- Debris removal
When your Brick business suffers vandalism from graffiti, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant is available 24/7 at 732-202-3001 to make it “Like it never even happened.”
Is a Sewer Backup Bad for My Point Pleasant Home or Business?
We are available 24 hours a day—our highly trained technicians are standing by for any size biohazard cleanup.
A sewer backup creates a stressful and emotional situation for any Point Pleasant home or business owner. In some cases, there are not only safety concerns but also concerns over significant property loss. Proper and a quick response to this situation can significantly minimize property damage.
What is a sewer backup?
A sewer backup occurs when sewage and/or dirty water (called wastewater) comes up a drain, sink or toilet. This usually happens when there is a blockage in the sewer pipe that is preventing wastewater from freely flowing. If this occurs, sewer backups need to be stopped and cleaned immediately to eliminate any sort of exposure to harmful bacteria and viruses. “Sewer systems connect entire communities and carry the wastewater to a treatment facility where it is treated and returned to the environment,” according to Lentz Wastewater Management Inc.
What causes sewer backups in Point Pleasant?
There are several reasons why a sewer backup occurs, but the two main categories would be:
- There is a blockage and it is preventing the sewage from flowing, or there’s just too much wastewater for the system to handle. If something is blocking the pipe or otherwise preventing wastewater from flowing, eventually that wastewater will back up into the drains inside your home. Particularly older homes are more susceptible to damaged sewer pipes, but there are many things that can cause a blockage. Like flushing items that should not be flushed – wipes, grease, oils, fats, etc.
- Heavy rains can also be the cause of sewer backups. Particularly for homes connected to municipal sewer systems. There are wastewater systems in most cities and separate the rain water and the sewage. Some cities have a combined sewer system that carries sewage and rain together. During heavy rain fall, the sewer system can get filled with rain water and it forces the water and sewage up into the home systems that it’s connected too. Which result into a sewage backup.
It’s one thing to have a flooded basement full of water; it’s quite another to have one full of backed-up sewage. Sewer backups aren’t necessarily the most destructive thing that can happen to your house, but they are definitely one of the most disgusting. These situations should be considered an emergency and dealt with as quickly as possible to prevent any further damage to your property. Consider your personal protection-the raw sewage can be extremely dangerous and filled with gases, viruses, bacterial, and fungi. SERVPRO employees have all the PPE (personal protective equipment), proper training and products to tackle such biohazard cleanup jobs. There is no disaster cleanup service that the experts of SERVPRO of Point Pleasant can’t tackle. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate reaching out to us. We know how to contain the situation and neutralize it. Call 732-202-3001 today for all your sewage cleanup needs
Pipe Burst While on Vacation?
SERVPRO can determine the scope of your water damage, inspect and test to determine the extent of damage and how far the moisture traveled.
If you are planning to travel away from your Lacey home, it is of the utmost importance to occasionally check your vacant property. By having a trusted friend or family member stop by even a couple times a week to make sure everything is as you left it, is strongly recommended. In a winter cold spell, water pipes may develop ice and form a blockage. If left untreated, this can lead to increased pressure, causing the pipe to burst. A burst water pipe in your home can cause more than $5,000 in damage, so it’s important to act quickly.
A family in our community had a pipe burst while travelling during the holidays when the temperature changed drastically (which is usually the cause). Thankfully, they had a family who was checking the home catch this before the water damage spread. They called SERVPRO of Lacey, Manchester and we were able to get there to begin the water damage restoration process. If the water was left sitting for too long untreated moisture can result in bacteria, mold and mildew growth or worsening structural damage.
Even if you’ll only be away from your home for a few days, consider having someone check up on your living space. Especially if it’s during extreme weather condition. As always, SERVPRO of Lacey is here to help with any emergency service regarding water damage. Contact us at 732-408-3161, we are available 24/7.
SERVPRO of Point Pleasant Commercial Damage Restoration Services
Water from unit above came down into a business in Point Pleasant causing water damage.
When it comes to your commercial property, you need a restoration company that can minimize the disruption while delivering superior and fast results. Whether you need water or fire damage cleanup, mold removal, storm cleanup, flood cleanup, sewage removal, bio-hazard cleanup, professional cleaning services or Covid-19 cleaning services, SERVPRO of Point Pleasant handles it all. We are your local commercial cleanup experts. We service:
- Office Buildings
- High-Rise Office Buildings
- Apartment Buildings
- Hotels and Motel
- Retail Stores
- High-Rise Buildings
- Manufacturing Buildings
- Industrial Parks
- Flex Buildings
- Suites or Condominiums
- Multi-Dwelling Units and Buildings
- Medical Buildings
- Government Buildings
- Military Buildings
A professional commercial water damage restoration company, like SERVPRO of Point Pleasant, will have the knowledge and experience to mitigate these risks, as well as restore your property. our technicians are trained and certified to handle any commercial water damage restoration project. We can assist you through every step of the process and help return your property back to a state of normalcy.
September is Campus Fire Prevention Safety
September is Campus Fire Safety Month! Spend some time this month by focusing on creating a fire-safe environment either on or off campus.
As September approaches, students are heading to college, so now is the perfect time to review best practices and learn how to put these practices into action for both students living on or off campus. Whether you are a student or parent, taking a few minutes to evaluate the new housing could go a long way toward preventing potential fire-related injury or deaths.
Click here to down the Campus Fire Safety Checklist for Students or click here for the Campus Fire Safety Tips for Parents.
When you first move in to your new housing, analyze your surroundings. Take time to educate yourself and your roommates about fire safety can make all the difference in a life-or-death situation. Taking small steps in identifying two ways out of a room, ensuring smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are properly installed and working can go a long way toward preventing potential fire-related injury or deaths.
Listed below are some simple things to evaluate for fire safety measures for campus-related housing:
- Keep combustible items away from heat sources.
- Smoking, candles, and other open flame items should never be used in student housing.
- Fire sprinklers control a fire and provide lifesaving time for escape.
- Know and practice the building’s evacuation plan, as well as alternate routes. Create and practice a fire escape plan, if living off campus.
- Ensure smoke alarms are installed in all sleeping areas, test smoke alarms monthly in an apartment or a house.
- Never remove or disable smoke alarms.
- Keep common areas and hallways free of possessions and debris, and never block exit routes.
What are some common causes of fires for college students?
There are several common causes for fires in dorms and off campus housing, including cooking, candles and overloaded power strips.
Follow these simple tips from the U.S. Fire Administration to avoid fires in campus housing:
- Cook only where it is allowed.
- Keep your cooking area clean and free of anything that can burn.
- Keep an eye on what you are cooking, especially if you are cooking at high temperatures.
- If a fire starts in a microwave, keep the door closed and unplug the unit.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn.
- Never use an extension cord with large appliances, like a refrigerator.
- Do not overload outlets.
- Use only surge protectors or power strips that have internal overload protection.
We know how exciting it is to make the transition from home to college and we want you to stay safe, so we hope you share this information with friends in dorms and off campus. Don’t forget to check with your school’s individual fire safety plans.
As a certified fire restoration company in New Jersey, https://www.SERVPROpointpleasant.com/ pledges our commitment to serving local colleges and the surrounding communities. We’re proud to provide the best emergency fire restoration services in Ocean, Monmouth, Middlesex, Mercer, Atlantic and Burlington Counties.
Simple Steps to Help Avoid a Home Fire in Point Pleasant
After a fire, you will need the assistance of a reputable fire restoration company to handle your fire damage cleanup.
Preparing for a fire in your Point Pleasant home is easier than the fire restoration process. Follow these simple steps to help avoid a fire in your home:
- Install the right number of smoke alarms in your residence. Test them once a month and replace the batteries at least once a year. Not sure how many and where to install smoke detectors? The American Red Cross has a video to show you and The National Fire Alarm Code provides the latest safety provisions to meet our society's changing fire detection, signaling, and emergency communications demands.
- Teach children what smoke alarms sound like and what to do when they hear one.
- Ensure that all household members know two ways to escape from every room of your home and know the family meeting spot outside of your home.
- Establish a family emergency communications plan and ensure that all household members know who to contact if they cannot find one another.
- Practice escaping from your home at least twice a year. Press the smoke alarm test button or yell “Fire“ to alert everyone that they must get out.
- Make sure everyone knows how to call 9-1-1.
- Teach household members to STOP, DROP and ROLL if their clothes catch on fire.
- Fire extinguishers should be easily accessible to adults trained to use them, and kept away from children's curious hands. Install extinguishers high on the wall, near an exit, and away from heat sources. If you try to use a fire extinguisher on a fire and the fire does not immediately die down, drop the extinguisher and get out.
The following safety measures might seem simple, but an astonishing number of house fires are started because these precautions haven’t been taken:
- Heaters should be at least three feet away from curtains, bedding and clothing.
- Matches and lighters should always be stored out of the reach of children.
- Candles should not be positioned near curtains or other flammable items or used while sleeping even if the power is shut off or is temporarily out of service.
- Food cooking on the stove top should not be left unattended. If you are multi-tasking while cooking and are working in another area of the home, set an alarm to remind you to check!
- Don’t overload power points with appliances.
Fires can cause extensive damage and the clean-up process tends to labor intensive, it is advisable to call in fire, smoke and soot professionals at SERVPRO of Point Pleasant.
Certified: SERVPRO's Three C's for Cleaning
SERVPRO of Toms River is "Here to Help" and Ready to Respond.
As we continue the battle against COVID-19, it’s important to feel confident that the place where we gather, shop or dine is clean and safe. SERVPRO of Point Pleasant knows that we all have a new sense of what it means to be clean.
When you see that a local business in Ocean County has been Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned, you can be confident it’s been cleaned using the processes and procedures used by SERVPRO. This defensive and proactive pathogen cleaning program goes well beyond standard janitorial cleaning practices. We are dedicated to inspiring confidence in our community.
When you see the Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned shield, you can know that space has been cleaned to a higher standard, so you can feel safe to go there. This thorough deep COVID cleaning has 3 phases called the “3 C’s”:
- Consult-We customize a cleaning program based on the unique needs of each business.
- Clean-In this step, our trained professionals will use EPA-approved hospital-grade cleaning solutions to clean a facility based on the particular needs of that business. We adhere to the cleaning and decontamination standards set by the CDC, cleaning all touchpoints and surrounding surfaces.
- Certify-You’ll know a business is Certified: SERVPRO Cleaned by the shield posted on their front window. Our shield represents their commitment to the comfort and security of their employees, customers, and community.
Whether or not you’ve had a positive case of the novel coronavirus, we can deep clean your business or commercial property as a proactive measure that will give your employees and customers confidence in gathering there. Interested in our Commercial Services? Call SERVPRO of Point Pleasant today at 732-202-3001.